*watching the sun trace shadows on the floor*

When Eileen turned one I remember it being bittersweet.

It hurt my heart in a fresh place that she wasn't a baby anymore. We celebrated her in St. Augustine where our family officially began when Seth & I got married. It was perfection but I was sad. It was as if when that day ended, a part of us did too. 


At the time, all the fun (and, let's be honest, some not so fun) developments were still a mystery. I didn't know turning one meant she was on her way to singing songs, "reading" herself stories at night, or having real conversations. 


Those things and so much more were on the other side of birthdays and so when it was time for Man Friend to enjoy his first birthday last week, I was a lot less sad. 


We celebrated him at Wheeler Farm for Pumpkin Days (where we had been the day before he was born). We basked in his snorting, toothless gummy grins, chubby hands, and wild curls. Even though it was sad to blow the candles out on his baby stage, I could appreciate that we were on the verge of new ones that would be just as great. 


I don't know that I'll ever get used to them growing up/older/apart from me but I've learned to enjoy the transformation. 


::listening to "good" by better than ezra::

Comments

Angela said…
I can't believe he's one already. Where is time going? I can't wait to meet both of your sweet babies, hopefully before they're too much older!

Popular posts from this blog

*just like James I'll be drinking Irish tonight*

"I rest my head between the bed and sky"

*turn off this song, find someone to love*