*back to school, ring the bell*

This is the first year I haven't had a back-to-school in somewhere around 24 years. I have been lucky enough to enjoy school supply shopping, the joy of fresh crayons, and agonize over first day outfits for far longer than I should have.

True, the first day has taken on many forms...waiting for buses with labeled  backpacks, carpooling with friends, rounds of sorority recruitment, and remembering class lists and which fantastic small children I've already met at BTS night... Each of them were exhilarating in their own way.

This year I've voluntarily given up that back-to-school experience and while it doesn't have to be permanent, it doesn't make it any less bittersweet. I'm so very grateful that I can try this stay-at-home-mama thing that I've been missing out on. It's been phenomenal to see all the little things Eileen does in a day. I feel like I've gotten to know her all over again.

Yet that doesn't mean that every time someone tells me "I won't miss it" (school) I don't want to set them straight. Teaching (like most great things) is not always easy or wonderful but it is definitely something you miss. 
 

So, to all my friends who are still getting their first day of school...enjoy the fantastic chaos of it. There's something magical about the "new year" and those people who'll be a huge part of each day in it.

::listening to "we're going to be friends" by the white stripes::



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

*just like James I'll be drinking Irish tonight*

"I rest my head between the bed and sky"

*turn off this song, find someone to love*